Water is great for cleaning most things, but not so much for your contacts–unless you want an eye infection. Here’s why you should never clean or store your contacts with water, and why should always use the cleaning solution your eye doctor recommends instead.
This video from the Reactions YouTube channel explains that a contact related infection can potentially leave you blind, and those types of infections are more likely to occur when you store or clean your contacts in water. Even if you’re using water that’s safe to drink, there are still microbes and bacteria that live in it–and now live on your contact lens. Your stomach and eyes can normally handle those microbes just fine, but contacts are a game-changer when it comes to your eye’s defenses. Contacts can impair the eye’s immune responses, and they interfere with the movement and mixing of your tears. Not only do improperly cared for contacts bring the bacteria into in your eyes, they also give bacteria an advantage. So, never let water mix with your contacts, regardless of how clean you think it is. The CDC also recommends you follow this checklist to keep your eyes healthy and your contact lenses fresh.